The Cominco Arena was constructed in 1949 to replace Trail's first rink, built in 1911 at the south end of Bay Avenue.

Cominco Ltd. donated the land and contributed $500,000 towards construction of the Arena. In 1955, Cominco Ltd. contributed $275,000 towards construction of the Cominco Gymnasium.


The initial building housed an NHL-size ice surface for senior hockey, skating, and lacrosse.

In the summer months, the ice surface was replaced with a wooden floor and used for roller skating and other community events.

In subsequent years the building was expanded, to include an eight-sheet curling rink (complete with a lounge) in 1950; a small ice surface called the "Kid's Rink" in 1953; and a gymnasium (complete with kitchen facilities) in 1955. The Trail Municipal Library was constructed in 1958. The building became known as the Trail Memorial Centre. Racquetball, squash courts and meeting rooms were added in the 1970's.

In November 1999 the Centre celebrated its 50th anniversary.

The Trail Memorial Centre is one of the finest recreational facilities among small towns in Canada.

Memorial Centre Facts

  • Main Arena Ice Surface: 85' x 200'
  • Arena Seating Capacity: 2,500 with additional 1,000 standing
  • Kid's Rink Ice Surface: 60' by 145'
  • Gymnasium Seating Capacity: 900
  • Library Area: 4,500 square feet
  • Banquet Seating Capacity in Gymnasium: 500
  • Curling Rink Ice Surface: 8 sheets

Test your memory of the arena: At least eleven changes have been made since this photo was taken in the early 1970's. Touch or click here to find out